four o clocks

helenh(z6 SW MO)September 19, 2012

The light pink is pretty now, but the fuchia is big and tough. I have the fuchia four o clocks in the weeds. They and crepe myrtle can survive in the weather we have had lately.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Beautiful, Helen. Did you grow them from seed? How long does it take to get them that big? I'd like to have a couple next season.
Sunny

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:46AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

You have to be careful where you plant them because they reseed. The fuchia ones were from the garden web. The man said he had them on the side of a shed and that they were fragrant. Those get shoulder high and are growing outside my fence with no water. Some got in my yard or I may have planted them there. They took over where there were some day lilies and I had to dig the day lilies and put them somewhere else. That was OK because it is on a hill and you can't siphon up. Four oclocks look better watered but they don't die with no watering even the last two years. The Sunset ones were purchased seeds and the pink ones were seed exchange. I haven't had those long. I also have white. The toughest are the fuchia; they are almost like a shrub. They have big roots that have been living through the winter. White shows up at night and fuchia shows up. The Sunset and light pink are not big plants but those colors don't seem to show up from a distance. Sometimes in humid weather on warm nights the fragrance is strong. I like them very much but you have to be careful where you put them. I have tried the broken colors and the light yellow green leaf ones. Those did not keep coming back. I would like to have the broken colors ones again. I can save you seeds if you will promise not to be mad if they take over your salvia.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 1:29PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

I promise. Thank you!
Sunny

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 11:10PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

It will take me a while to get the light pink as those seeds are not mature. I will save you some. I am not sure that seeds from a certain color come true. I remember from biology class that they blend colors.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 11:39AM
gldno1

Helen,I think I have some broken colors. Let me wait until the sun hits them this morning and I will take pics. I can save seeds if I get out there before they eject.

Didn't you give me these seeds? I do have a nice area of them now and they come up out in the grass where I mow. I love them because they are so carefree.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:23AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I may have sent broken colors because I used to have them. How tall do they get for you? I think the fuchia ones may crowd out the others. Save me some seeds if you can. If our weather stays like this, four o clocks will be appreciated. I remember as a kid in San Diego (where it never rains)four o clocks and geraniums would grow on the side of the road with no care.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 3:22PM
laVerneMaynard7

I have fuchsia 4 o'clocks if anyone wants seeds. Anyone have yellow?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:14AM
gldno1

Sorry to be so slow to get back to this.

Here is what I have. I have collected some seeds but can't guarantee how they will turn out. I am sure they cross pollinate. Helen, I will need your address; I have looked high and low for it but can't find it. I have changed computers fairly recently and didn't transfer my address book.

and this one has a faint apricot edging that I like very much but isn't really a broken,

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 6:11AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I don't have anything like the yellow and half yellow ones. I'd like to have seeds of those. I'll send you my address when I get home. I'm at Peggywho's house in CA.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 1:56PM
gldno1

You do realize my seeds are mixed.... they are so tangled together it was hard to pick out which was which. They probably carry the genes of both colors anyway. Surely some will be the broken colors...I hope.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 7:28AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am using my sister's computer and her fancy mouse. I sounded demanding. I would like to try some of your seeds if there is a chance of getting something different. Since four o clocks are very attractive to those big moths and hummers, I'll bet they are all mixed up.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 12:20AM
crm2431(7 -Tahlequah)

I would really like some fuchia four o clocks seed if possible I wouls gladly pay postage?

Charlie

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:49PM
crm2431(7 -Tahlequah)

My email is: crm2431@hotmail.com

Charlie

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:58PM
crm2431(7 -Tahlequah)

I made a mistake its the yellow or Apricot that need? Sorry.
crm2431@hotmail.com

Charlie

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Speaking of Gardens
Speaking of GardensToday's column in The Joplin Globe....
beadwitch
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Sponsored Products
Newgate 50?s ?electric? wall clock - black 15"
Origin Crafts
11-inch Silvertone Stainless Steel Rotating Gear Wall Clock
Overstock.com
Uttermost Ronan Wall Clock Large
Beyond Stores
Trademark Global 14 in. U.S. Army Chrome Double Ring Neon Wall Clock ARMY1400
$79.99 | Home Depot
Bursting Spokes of Time Wall Clock
$159.99 | Dot & Bo