Anyone growing lupines in Philly area?

lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)September 24, 2008

I can't grow lupines due to burning hot sun in my yard, but I am wondering if anyone has experience growing them in the metro Philly area? Under what conditions do they thrive (or not thrive)? I'm teaching a class and I'm wondering if these plants are grown here much. They thrive in my home state of MI but I don't see them much in PA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_SE_PA_6

Too hot here for lupines - unfortunately! They grow wild in Maine and they are beautiful. They are similar to delphiniums - they may grow for a year but it is hard to get them to return. You have to treat them like annuals.

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 1:18PM
sarahbn(z6Pa.)

The only lupine I ever had any luck with isn't even a lupine but is sold as one carolina lupine. It's big and yellow It looks more like baptista or false indigo.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 9:11PM
deb2(Z6)

I do know that there is someone in my area (appr. 40 miles NW of Philly) that grows them and they are stunning when in bloom. They are there each year. I don't know if the plant is coming back each year or if they are reseeding.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 10:44AM
rebow(6 Philly)

I must be a glutton for punishment b/c I 've tried these several times in the various microclimates in my yard and they always die. I live 25 minutes NW of Philly

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 1:29PM
princeton701

Hi,
I know this is an old post, but thought I might give you some positive experience growing lupines here. I live in Princeton, NJ and have been finally successful growing lupines. In fact, the same plants come back the following year, even bigger; as well as new baby plants coming in volunteer spots! Good luck - it can be done!

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:25PM
poaky1

I can grow them in SW Pa in partial shade. Try morning sun only in SE Pa. They are easy to grow from seed also.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:18PM
blueheron(z6 PA)

I also grow them here in Lancaster, but they are short-lived perennials in the best of times. They don't like hot baking sun, so I grow them in morning sun, plus they like an acid soil, so I add a soil amendment when I plant them (maybe some pine needles). Mulch them well to keep the roots cool.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™