fly attacking hornworm

helenh(z6 SW MO)September 14, 2010

This is not my picture but I saw the exact thing just now. I googled fly attacking hornworm and found this. It is the same fly and it made the hornworm thrash about. It also rested and gave me a good look. It buzzed and I thought it was a bee when it was moving. It is a bigger fly than a housefly, but looks like an ordinary fly. I would have swatted it if it were in my house. Now I will look for more of these around my garden. I was thinking ofordering beneficial insects; I may have them already

http://bugguide.net/node/view/329735

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am excited about this as you can tell. More on the same story.

Here is a link that might be useful: insect help

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 6:18PM
gldno1

Helen, I am glad you are so observant! I hope I have those flies around here. I will now be looking for them. Half my tomatoes are stripped and yet I can't find the blasted caterpillars.

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 4:32AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

The trouble with organic methods is that the hornworm it was attacking was a big fat guy already full of my tomatoes. Same when I find them. I don't see most of them until they are about ready to drop and dig into the soil. It was very interesting to me because I had read about these flies and the tiny wasps. It is a tough world out there, but interesting to watch.

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 10:07AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I hardly ever see hornworms and that may be the reason why. The hornworm you saw will keep eating but it won't mature and lay eggs later so at least it will keep next year's population in check.

I brought in a Gulf Fritillary chrysalis earlier this summer and wasps hatched out of it instead of a Gulf Frit. They were very tiny, about the size of large gnats and there were a lot of them.

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 1:19PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I thought of you, Christie, when I read about this fly. People who were raising butterflies got flies instead. You like your butterflies and I do too. Caterpillars around here including cut worms for sure are my enemies for the most part; the striped stem borers are probably safe from these parasites and they are the worst. If I ever find a stink bug predator, I will be encouraging it.

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 5:13PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Because of my darn Wii fit and that little voice that says I'm overweight, I have been trying to eat fruit. Three rotten bananas were put out to attract butterflies. I got different looking stinging insects, ants and lots of trachinid flies. It doesn't look very nice because there are other flies too and no room for butterflies - looks nasty but I'm letting them have it.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™