Suggestions for flowers that bloom in August

irishell725September 12, 2008

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I am looking for help for my wedding. I am getting married in my best friend's backyard and I need to know what flowers I can plant that will bloom in mid to late August. She has several fruit trees(apple and pear). But no flowers in the back yard. I am looking more for flowers that can be planted in pots, unless it will be easy to plant now before winter comes.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_SE_PA_6

You might want to consider annuals in pots for a garden in August. Phlox and brown-eye susans are some of the perennials that should be blooming in August. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 2:42PM
butterfly4u

In my garden still blooming even yet is
Dahlia (they get real bushy and big with gorgeous flowers)
There are 1000s of varities.
Portulaca
Petunia
Geranium
Russian Sage
You can buy some already flowering mini roses at the super market and give them out as favors, put them on your guests tables, they will look nice.
You can also buy some cut flower bouques at a place like Produce Junction and put them in baskets where you are to be married.
Or for a tropical feel, buy some big hibiscus already in pots and put them in the yard for pics.
Good Luck!
Just be sure to have plenty of shade available for your guests alsong for yourself, August is very hot and humid.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 1:44AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Black eyed susans are very easy to grow and, if planted as seed next spring, should be in fine form next August. Zinnias, Salvia coccinea, and Cosmos are additional choices which can be seeded in the spring for a strong August bloom. All of these can be grown without too much care, but you'll get a bit of an informal look, since all get fairly tall. I might mix the four in large beds for a nice english garden sort of look.

Many tamer (smaller) annuals could also be grown in beds in the ground or in pots. Marigolds are easy, garden sage usually peaks in August. Pansies and perhaps petunias should be avoided, because they may tend to poop out by August.

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™