Majesty Palm dying

SDG5482February 15, 2013

Hi! My husband bought a Majesty Palm for our living room in January and we had to leave on vacation soon after. I read online that these palms make terrible indoor plants. I watered and misted the plant before leaving and also left a pot of water underneath to help with humidity. We were able to return 2 weeks later than we planned and that left the plant uncared for for about 21 days. I came back to find that the plant had totally leaned over towards the balcony door, which was the only light source in the room and the leaves were dried out. I immediately watered it and have been misting it several times a day. I have also brought the room temperature up but the plant is still dying. It has been two days. What should I do???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PNW_blackthumb

They may have a reputation as being a terrible house plant, but I still love them for some reason!

Maybe it's time to try again since they're very cheap. I've managed to keep a majesty palm healthy and mostly indoors for 5 months so far. I give it a pretty ridiculous amount of fertilizer, epsom salt, and water.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:10PM
islandbreeze

From what I understand, they need lots of water, but not sitting in water, at least not indoors. I never had luck with them, but then again, I always keep my palms on the dry side while indoors. I agree, start fresh with a new palm. It'll take a long time to nurse that palm back to health where it looks decent, if it can be saved at all.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:39PM
subtropix

This is one of the few palms that actually do like sitting in a shallow saucer of standing water. Also, you can turn down the furnace, cooler/more humid s much better than warm and dry. Not quite as impossible as their reputation f you remember to consistently water.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:48PM
miketropic

I got a 4 ft majesty on discount at lowes yesterday for a dollar so I would suggest starting over. They had some 6ft+ ones at my local walmart for 12.99. Just pick up a new one and learn from the last one.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™