Majesty Palm dying

SDG5482February 15, 2013

Hi! My husband bought a Majesty Palm for our living room in January and we had to leave on vacation soon after. I read online that these palms make terrible indoor plants. I watered and misted the plant before leaving and also left a pot of water underneath to help with humidity. We were able to return 2 weeks later than we planned and that left the plant uncared for for about 21 days. I came back to find that the plant had totally leaned over towards the balcony door, which was the only light source in the room and the leaves were dried out. I immediately watered it and have been misting it several times a day. I have also brought the room temperature up but the plant is still dying. It has been two days. What should I do???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PNW_blackthumb

They may have a reputation as being a terrible house plant, but I still love them for some reason!

Maybe it's time to try again since they're very cheap. I've managed to keep a majesty palm healthy and mostly indoors for 5 months so far. I give it a pretty ridiculous amount of fertilizer, epsom salt, and water.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:10PM
islandbreeze

From what I understand, they need lots of water, but not sitting in water, at least not indoors. I never had luck with them, but then again, I always keep my palms on the dry side while indoors. I agree, start fresh with a new palm. It'll take a long time to nurse that palm back to health where it looks decent, if it can be saved at all.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:39PM
subtropix

This is one of the few palms that actually do like sitting in a shallow saucer of standing water. Also, you can turn down the furnace, cooler/more humid s much better than warm and dry. Not quite as impossible as their reputation f you remember to consistently water.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:48PM
miketropic

I got a 4 ft majesty on discount at lowes yesterday for a dollar so I would suggest starting over. They had some 6ft+ ones at my local walmart for 12.99. Just pick up a new one and learn from the last one.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
How to graft palm?
Hi How to graft palm?
iskhan
Me little plants just atsrting out
If you look close you can see the Y.Rostrata,variegated...
jimhardy
Need help with my Date Palm.
hello i recently transplanted a 6 feet date palm tree/plant...
datepalmlover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™