FreezePruf: Experiences and Opinions, I'm Curious...

Kokomo-JBFebruary 15, 2013

Especially any of you that have used it on palms. Does it live up to its claims?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimhardy

Never saw any benefit.

To bad,I was pulling for Dr.Francko on this one-wonder what happened there....

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:17AM
Kokomo-JB

I emailed him and he told me that while the claims are that it can lower the core water temp about 9 degrees, in palms it was more like 4-5 degrees-which is still not bad...if true that is. I told him that I have a friend who knows of a company in STL who uses beet juice instead of salt to melt road ice. They have a patent pending on the product and claim that it does a better job than salt and isn't corrosive. It is also all-natural/bio-degradeable. That got me thinking of maybe using it on vegetation to lower the plants core water temps. I will be running tests on it in Long Island next winter on Palms...if it works, we can be on to something big-just hope it doesn't dye the damn palms red :)

Way I see it, Cross-Polly takes time....years lots of years. Gene manipulation takes coin....money and tons of it.
If a true anti-freeze can be developed, then that could be the cheapest, quickest and most low-mat. way of getting palms to jump zones or in the very least stay healthy and hardy.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:37AM
jacklord(7A)

I have not used it. It strikes me as another "arrow in the quiver" for winter protection. Worth using with everything else.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:03PM
bradleyo_gw

No more effective than Wilt-Pruf, actually maybe less effective. Prevents dessication., nothing more.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Sago Palm out of control!
I have 3 sago palms that started as nice small plants....
kkupsh
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™