Leaf curl?

jblaschke(8b TX)April 18, 2006

Folks, I'm wondering if anyone here might have some knowledge to help me out. Robert over on the Arizona Gardening forum was kind enough to help me secure a passiflora mexicana a little while back. The plant was in sad shape when it arrived (through no fault of Robert's) but with a good bit of coddling and lots of warm weather, it's putting out all sorts of new shoots and leaves.

The trouble is that recent leaves put out have been severely curled. P. mexicana has classic, double-lobed leaves, and the first few it put out were textbook. But everything it's putting out now is... bulbous, for lack of a better word. The leaves curl in a spherical shape as they grow. Not very attractive, and it can't be good for the plant. I've looked, and can't see any insects on it. No fungus or like disease is apparent. It's sheltered by a fence, so gets very little direct sunlight (early morning only). I'm puzzled. It's growing steadily, but this has me concerned. Any ideas?

(I'll try and post some images tonight)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

As promised, here are a couple of images. The quality's not the greatest--still getting used to the new digital camera (a cheap one) but maybe there's enough detail for someone to hazard a guess:

and

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 11:43PM
ethane(9 FL)

I think I would just wait it out a while. Make sure the soil isn't too wet. I've got some mexicana and it seems to just take a while to get started again in spring.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 3:19AM
jblaschke(8b TX)

Thanks for the suggestion. We've had unseasonably warm weather here the past few weeks (topped 100 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday!) so I've been watering all our plants pretty heavily. Will cut back with the mexicana and see how it responds.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Ruby glow
My ruby has been looking weak lately. I upped the water...
tim45z10
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Passiflora 'Preciosa'
Fruit finally ripened- will check for seeds in a few...
passiefarm
Sponsored Products
KALCO Lighting 6531AF Trellis Antique Silver Leaf Pendant
Littman Bros Lighting
Artistic Weavers Lamps Navan 41.5 in. Hammered Silver Leaf Table Lamp Navan-L1
Home Depot
Chew-resistant Cordura Pet Bed Dog Bed
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Barcelona Silver And Gold Leaf Twelve-Light Island Pendant
Bellacor
Solid Brass Leaf Design Doorstop
Signature Hardware