This weekend: straightening up a 15' tall tulip poplar

Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)October 26, 2006

One of our trees, a youngish tulip poplar, got blown over slightly in that big August windstorm. Recently it has started tipping even more, so I've gotta try and fix it this weekend. It's at least 10 degrees out of plumb. I tried straightening it by hand, but it wouldn't budge (the trunk is at least an 8" caliper).

The plan is to use our farm tractor pull it upright, once I've dug out around the root ball a bit. If that works, we'll stake it thoroughly and hope for the best.

Should be an adventure, wish me luck!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissas(z6PA)

Wow! Let us know how it goes.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 5:36PM
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

what a job you have ahead of you, carol. especially in this weather. i'll be sending good thoughts your way. best of luck!

maryanne

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 8:09PM
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

Got it done, just before the crazy wind started. I attached it to the front end loader of our farm tractor with a big heavy chain, using a rubber car floor-mat to protect the bark. My husband carefully backed the tractor up while I dug around the roots with a shovel. We had to pop the roots out of the ground to get the trunk upright, I hope the tree survives. Afterwards we staked it with four 6-ft-tall metal fence posts. It didn't blow over in the high winds, so I guess the staking is sufficient.

My husband was very grumpy about spending a Saturday morning doing that. We're both ready to hibernate for the winter.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 10:43AM
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

glad to hear it all went well carol. good to know you conquered your task before sunday because those winds were quite forceful!

maryanne

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™