Ground or pots? And other newbie questions...

ShmeezeeApril 24, 2013

Hello all! I'm new to both passion fruit growing and Florida. I've got several giant yellow flavicarpas that recently sprouted, and I'm wondering where to put them. I've got a strip of dirt along the fence that could do, but I've been warned that they will take over my life.

If I keep them in containers, will they still fruit? How large a container?

Also: I've gotten the impression that purple hybrids will do better than regular purples in S.Fla. Has that been your experience?

And finally: any preventative measures to keep the bugs away? My poor tomatoes are being eaten by literally every possible type of pest, as I fear all my edibles will be!

Thanks for the help... I've been getting quite an education drifting about in these forums.

Cheers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

If you plant them in the ground now, as small as they are, the slugs will eat them. Leave them in pots until they outgrow a one gallon pot, then plant them in the ground. As for pests on your other plants, welcome to Florida - that's one of the prices you pay for living here! I use a lot of slug bait, but other than that, there's not much you can do. I have found it worth living here, despite all the critters we deal with.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shmeezee

Ah, thanks! I guess I just need to be patient and actually let them grow in a bit. I'm probably the most impatient gardener ever... Constantly hovering over my seedlings, willing them to grow faster and wondering if I should be doing anything else..

And yes, I'm trying to cultivate a kind of zen when it comes to the bugs. The climate just means I can grow all sorts of interesting tropical things!

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
blue passiflora vine
I planted my passiflora in a pot and intend on trying...
cateyanne
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™