planting bare root peonies

thorne715(6)October 16, 2007

i just got a large shipment of paeonia x. peonies and i don't want to plant them now becuase i have to move. What would be some of the options for me? Can they be planted indoors or will they last until next planting season? HELP!

I am a fairly new gardener so I don't want to screw this up. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

Get some dirt and moisture on those roots right away, peony roots are tender. Planting them in pots sounds like a good option. Use light well-draining soil, and leave the pots outside all winter long, in a relatively warm spot that isn't too sunny. Water them during warm spells but make sure they don't get water-logged. They should be fine. Good luck with your move!

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 8:47AM
nick_17815_pa(NE_PA z6)

If it were me I might also plant the pots in the ground to help give them a constant temperature and keep them a bit warmer (the wind chill will be a lot colder for them than the ground temp) When you're ready to move just pull up the pots, if you have to move during winter you may have to put something to let you lift it out easier when the ground is frozen

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 11:10AM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

One year I thined my peonies and had so many roots I could't give them all away. I threw them on top of my compost pikle and they all sprouted in the spring. John

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 10:06AM
nick_17815_pa(NE_PA z6)

Mine finally have a permanent home after a lot of moves and finally making it to my new house. I sure hope they spread like yours must have John. I put them at the end of the bed so I can add-on and have a mass planting of them.

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™