scree and rock gardens

countrygardengalNovember 7, 2006

hello all: new to the garden web, wonder if anyone had any experience withh a scree garden, i am considering adding two scree gardens to my rock garden,i have anidea on how to start them but don't know what plants would do well and what type of gravel would work for good drainage,something that would do well with a clay soil bottom any ideas would be helpful.

cindilynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

Hmm, I've never heard of a scree garden, am interested to hear what people say about this. Is it a desert-type garden?

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 6:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthlydelights(6 pushing 7)

carol, a scree garden is basically an area of gravel, rocks, or pebbles where plants that don't require a lot of water can grow. usually a difficult area or where water or run off water (rain) doesn't really reach.

cindilynn - try some creeping thymes, sedums, hens and chicks would be an excellent addition, dwarf bushes/shrubs, trilliums, any rock or alpine type plant, dutchman breech, maybe some anemone.

as for the gravel - river rock or pea gravel would be good. when you are planting, if you purchase plants, just take them out of their respective containers, push aside the gravel/pebbles/rock and place them in that hole bringing the rocks. you might want to dig out a bit of soil before you lay the rocks, add a layer or so of sand and then maybe some peat moss, and then your gravel/rock.

how big is the area you are working on?

best of luck on your project.

maryanne

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™