Better fruit? Incarnata vs Caerulea

chloeashaApril 16, 2012

Hi all! I was thinking to grow passiflora on my balcony. For our zone I know I need a hardy passiflora, and obviously incarnata will work but i was considering cearulea as well.

Does anyone have experience with both fruits?

Does one set better than the other? I know I need 2 for cross pollination.

Is there a trick to getting better pollination-- such as planting 2 incarnatas vs planting an incarnata plus a different incarnata variety?

I'm hoping for bloom all season as well (summer/fall), so if one is better than the other for that, it could be the kicker. The balcony gets quite a bit of shade but that is during the heat of the day.

Thanks!

Julianna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

OK, after looking around all night.. I decided maybe I should try incarnata first since it seems to have more fruit and a more edulis-like flavor. I make jam and am hoping to grow my own :)

Has anyone gotten fruit from Brushwood nursery's incarnatas? They have decent reviews for the plants themselves, and so I was just curious. Also is there a large fruiting difference between incarnata and incarnata alba? I was considering getting one of each, but I wasn't sure if this would be a mistake.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 10:36AM
karyn1(7a)

Incarnata can have ok fruit but I think caerulea fruit is nasty tasting. I have both the regular incarnata and I. Alba. The fruit from my Alba was a bit sweeter but I think that was probably due to growing conditions. My caeruleas produce more blooms then my incarnatas. Since you are more interested in fruit you might want to go with 2 different incarnatas for cross pollination since the caerulea fruit isn't what I would describe as palatable.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 2:19PM
chloeasha

Thanks! I ended up getting 2 albas and one regular incarnata. We'll see how that goes! Sunlight Nursery still had the albas, and I had decided after reading all over online that it was probably best to get a p. incarnata and a p. incarnata alba. :)

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 10:27AM
oakenking(z8, DFW TX)

I realize this is from months ago - but I'd love to hear how you turned out with jam! I put up a post in the forum about my jelly-making adventures; it was challenging, getting the juice from the fruit because it was so mucilaginous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my blog entry about Passiflora incarnata - wildcrafting and jelly making

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:34PM
chloeasha

Awesome post! So I only got a few small fruits from the white and one large one from the purple. They smelled fine-- like edulis. I put the guts in the freezer so I haven't done anything yet. I am hoping to get some wild ones and then I'll probably combine it with apricot. I'll let you know!

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:52PM
oakenking(z8, DFW TX)

Best jelly I ever made, was wild elderberry with wild passionflower - using the passionflower in place of the lemon juice in the recipe. Yum. Apricot should be lovely also!

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 4:07PM
chloeasha

My fav with edulis was mango passion fruit. Plum and peach also worked well for a combination. I think it makes for a great fruit in combination. It is also lovely alone, but I liked the combinations so much I think I will stick with them. I didn't get rid of the seeds though. I'm lazy like that.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 4:55PM
oakenking(z8, DFW TX)

Yeah - I wish I could get away with that with P. incarnata! The seeds are like little rocks, almost - you can bite them hard and crack them, but they're certainly not easy to just blend in and forget about.

2010 has been the only year that I had enough fruit to even think about making a passionfruit-only jelly... I'm hoping it might work out again this year, but it hangs on timing of the season and the mowing schedule of the highway crews!

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:04PM
chloeasha

Oh! I didn't blend them. They just stayed in whole. I tried a lot of different flavors in combo-- I like your idea of elderberry and passion fruit-- a nice, wild combination.

I'm heading to a park. They're on the side of the sidewalk, and my hope is to collect about 6 or so. I don't need that many!

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
Where to buy?
Can anyone suggest a place to buy passion flower vines...
jwink246
lindamarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™