Spiranthes vs. mowers

bigred(z8 Ark.)October 23, 2005

Well, the ding darn mowers beat me to it again! Two years Ive been trying to rescue a big sweep of spiranthes(cernua,I think)aka Ladies Tresses orchid....so,I went up to the courthouse Friday to ask the county judge's permisson to rope the area off next year so they won't mow them down before I can get them moved and she said "YES!" YAH!!!

PP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

Good for you! We've seen a lot of wild flowers lost to the mowers since we've been here. Those sound very special. There are byzantine gladiolas growing wild here. When we first came here I 'rescued' some of them from along the road bank. Recently, I saw on the internet that they are available as an 'hierloom' priced for $10, but not interested in buying or selling. Most people don't know or care what they are. They are the only ones I have ever seen. EP

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 10:35AM
enchantedplace

Have never seen this flower. Hope you can rescue them. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: spiranthes

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 11:54PM
razorback33(z7)

Spiranthes cernua var. cernua is the most widespread species in Ark. (vouchered in 39+ counties). Don't know your county, PP, but in your area, Howard Co. has S. cernua, plus 2 other species, Hempstead has 4 additional species. Little River, Sevier & Pike, only S. cernua. Nevada has only S. vernalis. Whatever the species, they are terrestrial Orchids and deserve a chance to propagate and expand. I applaud your efforts and hope you can find an alternate suitable undisturbed location. I'm afraid that the mower operators are the same all over the nation, they see only grass and weeds to be cut unless they have been given instructions not to mow a given area. I sometimes wonder how the wildflowers sown along some of the interstates manage to escape the blade.
Good luck and native plant enthusiasts everywhere thanks you!
Rb

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 12:50AM
bigred(z8 Ark.)

EP,thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

Rb,
Depending on who you ask,I'm either in Little River County or Franklin County. I live out on Millwood Lake.
Didn't get a chance to look at them real close before mowers got them because they bloom summer-late summer and I won't wade off into a ditch full of grass in snake weather. Next year I'll wear my firefighter boots.I'm placing my money on s.cernua.

PP

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 6:19AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

That is an interesting looking wildflower aptly named. Are your garden club members interested in wild flowers? It might be a good project to spot and protect interesting flowers.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™