Dead Oak

kadasuki(z6 NW AR)October 3, 2007

Well, lost a huge old oak this year, thought the freeze then heat did it. Well they probably weakened it. Tree service says that durn oak fungus got it. So durn sad cause it was a beautiful full grown oak decorating the front yard.

Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

We have lost several on the farm due to an Oak borer. You can see the tiny holes and the sawdust at the base of the trunk. It just makes you sick to see it happen.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 4:50PM
kadasuki(z6 NW AR)

I agree, sad, the tree was older than us, we'll not see it replaced with its equal in our lifetime.
Kat

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 12:07PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Sorry to hear about your tree Kat. I'm sure the weather HAS been hard them. They're more susceptible to disease and insects when they're weakened from things like loss of limbs and drought.
What I want to know is why my hybrid poplar won't die. lol We had it cut down after the ice storm because it looked like a telephone pole (no limbs) and we even had the stump ground out. I've pulled up hundreds of sprouts coming from the old roots and tried a strong dose of Round-Up a couple times but still have so many sprouts, it looks like a big shrub. I also have several sprouts coming up from my mulberry and hedge trees that we had cut down after the ice storm. I haven't had any sprouts from my oak, syamore or silver maple though. Too bad it wasn't the oak that returned instead of the poplar.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 8:11AM
gldno1

christie, here is an old farmer's trick: carefully pour diesel fuel over the cut stump. I can't tell you how many hedge, elms and various other things we have killed that way. I even use it, very carefully so as not to spill it onto the surrounding soil, in my perennial beds.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Sponsored Products
Pacific Side Table - Volk
$2,950.00 | HORNE
de La Espada | 434 Luna Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Varnish Oak Queen Bed
Overstock.com
BLux | Quadrat Linear Suspension Light
YLighting
Abbott Place Classic Oak Patina Bath Fixture
$79.90 | Bellacor
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Contempra Trio 42 in. Antique Brass Ceiling Fa
$65.98 | Home Depot
60" Halstead Vessel Sink Vanity
Signature Hardware
18 Inch Vanity Cabinet With Fitted Sink
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™