P. Edulis

baccalynnwv(5b West Virginia)May 2, 2006

I am new at the P. vines so. I have a p. edulis that I will have to grow in a container here in the mountians of central West Virginia.

1. What size container is best for them? Can you plant two in the same container? My vines are a couple of inches tall now. I'm getting excited. I started them from seeds which I hear can be rough to do sometimes!

2.I have them on my porch at the moment in morning sun and part shade. About how big should they be before I move them to full sun?

3.And.. one more question. Can they attach them selves to a trellis, or do I have to tie them up and stake them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

To answer your questions, the larger the container, the better. Passis develop large root systems, so if you want to produce fruit with your edulis, I'd go with a 15-inch pot or larger. You'll want to have one plant per pot. They can get pretty darn big and bushy, and for fruit production you don't want them crowded.

I'd say once they get to be a foot tall you could move them gradually to full sun, but I'm not that experienced with edulis. Someone else might have more immediate knowledge.

You might have to tie them early on, but once they're growing vigorously they'll put out plenty of tendrils on their own. You might still have to train them, because passis grow in *every* direction once they get going.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 10:39AM
baccalynnwv(5b West Virginia)

Another question.

I have been reading about Passion flower vines growing in hanging baskets. Is this really something that can be done?

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 1:18PM
ninecrow(England)

I have 2 One Flavicarpa the other just Edulis... Mine are in pots as I don't (Live in a Flat) have a garden...
I've measured My Flavicarpa before now and it's in come in at 12 feet... Perhaps it would grow more if it was in a bigger pot, but not in this Flat.....

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Sponsored Products
Fangio Lighting Pendant Lights 1-Light Sea Foam Ceramic Pendant with Canopy Kit
Home Depot
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 6 in. Metallic New Construction Recessed
$19.08 | Home Depot
Progress Lighting 6 in. Recessed Gray Goof Ring Lighting Accessory P8585-01
$8.46 | Home Depot
Caluco 22 x 22 in. Outdoor Toss Pillow - P22-22A-BRAVADA SALSA
$126.00 | Hayneedle
D'Kei Valentines Graphic Pillow Polka Dot Heart - P17-VAL21-49-RD
$109.99 | Hayneedle