Well, THIS is unexpected!

jblaschke(8b TX)May 23, 2007

Look what popped out on my incarnata the other day:

A white "Alba" sport. Shocked the heck out of me, I can tell you. The flower was looking a little ragged, so I suspect that it actually bloomed the day before, but had stayed open a second day as well. The ovary was very under developed and the stigmas hadn't reflexed, so the flower was sterile. The flower itself was 2.5" in diameter. For comparison, here's a pic of what a "normal" flower on this vine looks like:

These things measure up to 4" across, so the white sport differs significantly. Neither the flowers that bloomed on that particular vine ahead of the white sport, nor the ones that have bloomed after it show any hints of white. This one, apparently, was a one-off.

And just for funsies, here's a pic of some of the fruit I have maturing on the plant right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninecrow(England)

Is it the only one one that stem? Just thinking that if you took cuttings from it, would it come true?

LOVE the Last Photo.... All That YUMMY Fruit

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 1:35PM
chena(z8 Texas)

WOW!! How cool is that!!! That stray is a beauty..LOL The last pic is Yummy!! maybe a little vodka~passion fruit puree' HMMM... :)
Chena

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 1:50PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

Ninecrow, nope, that was the only white on that stem. All the others (and two more have opened since) have been "normal."

Chena, I plan on taking a bunch of the fruit this season and using it to make a passion fruit mead. I've had some success with a raspberry mead and a spiced mead in the past, and currently have a batch of prickly pear fruit mead aging. But passion fruit has been a longstanding goal of mine. :-)

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 2:04PM
karyn1(7a)

Your fruit looks great. Odd looking white bloom. What in the world is a fruit mead?
Karyn

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 10:45PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

Karyn, technically, a fruit mead is called "melomel." It's a honey-based wine with fruit added during the fermentation process. And certain fruits have their own particular name. Pear mead is called "Perry," apple mead is "Cyser" and so on. Mead with herbs and spices is called "Metheglin," a grape-honey mix is called "Pyment." There's a tremendous number of variations possible, only a few of which I've attempted thus far (with mixed results).

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
lindamarie
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™