What do I do now?

greylady_gardenerMay 29, 2008

I received some seeds that were just given to me as 'passionflower', so I have no idea what they are going to look like in the end. I did look up how to grow them from seeds and had success with the two pots that I planted. The smaller one is approx. 7 inches tall and hasn't started to actually look like a vine yet, but the larger one (planted at the same time and from the same seeds) is just over 33 inches tall and trying to twine around nearby plants. Right now they are sitting side by side on the window sill where they have been since they sprouted. My question is.......what do I do with them now?

Should I pot them together in a large planter? Can they go outside for the summer and if so then what conditions? How should I support them in the pot? I would think that the one at least is going to be out of control and winding around everything if I don't give it something to grow on. What do you all do with yours? I need to have an idea of how big a pot to put them in and how big a support/what to use as a support.

thanks in advance from a total newbie to this plant! :)

gg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

Passion flowers are tendril climbers--they'll send out tendrils that wrap around plants, objects etc. for support. If they're actually twining--ala Morning Glory or honeysuckle, I'm afraid you don't have passion flowers at all.

Depending on the species (and the odds are you've got either caerulea or incarnata) you can either plant them outside depending on your climate, or put them in a large pot to bring in over the winter. Almost all passis love bright sun and do well in full exposure. Just be sure that when moving them from the shelter of indoors you acclimate them in partial shade for several days to a week before giving them full sun, otherwise they'll burn just as you or I would.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 2:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

Thanks for your reply jblaschke. I am pretty sure that they must be incarnata as when I just googled the seed image of that one, it certainly looks like it. The seeds do seem to be dimpled.
The plants do have tendrils that are doing the wrapping around the other plants. One is especially long as it is reaching out on a side where there is nothing to latch on to. I am in Z-6 (SW Ontario Canada) so I will definitely plant them in a pot so they can be overwintered inside.
gg

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
lindamarie
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™