Overwintering Hostas in pots

sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)October 9, 2010

I did a GW search on this subject, and they all seemed to be in different growing zones. I have young hostas in 3 large pots. Every year I overwinter my reblooming potted daylillies in a sunny spot and have no trouble. I don't mulch them.

What are the chances of keeping this hosta over winter outside? What have you done to keep yours alive? Mulch them? Totally cover with shredded leaf mulch or what? What side of house to put the pots - part sun? shade? How do they get enough water to stay alive? No room for them in the GH.

I'd like to try it this year because I don't have any room for them in beds until I take some too-shady iris out of a former sunny bed--

Thanks for your help!

Sunny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beerhog(z7AR)

i have found that hostas are pretty forgiving. I think you can kill them with love before the cold will kill them.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 12:20AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have an August Moon that has been in a 24 inch plastic pot for several years; it does better than the ones in the ground. I have had a June in a smaller foam pot for a couple of winters. I did not mulch either. I think I read the risk is too much water standing in the pot. Mine were out in the weather so they got rain. If you put them in a garage or out building you would have to remember to water.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 10:30AM
mosswitch

I have overwintered them just by putting the pots close to my garden shed where they would be protected, and covering them with a good thick mulch of leaves. They've all come thru fine.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 4:41PM
swmogardens(6)

I overwinter about 100 hosta in pots. I wait until the pot is frozen solid, then lay it on it's side on the north side of a building. Forget about them until April 1. I stack them several high. You can put some rat poison behind them if needed to control voles.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™