where to get a sassafrass plant or bush

mikey-gardener(6a,6b, kcmo)October 10, 2009

I love drinking the tea from the root of sassafrass but can't find any. Need help where to get one

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

They are difficult to transplant. They do make seeds in summer but those are long-gone now. If you decide to move one, dig a deep hole next to it, you might get most of the taproot. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 7:49PM
gldno1

I was so lucky last year. I saw a seedling tree growing right outside the kitchen in the hummingbird flower bed and it turned out to be a sassasfras tree! I was just delighted. I guess a kind bird dropped the seed for me.
We have them on the farm, but they are almost impossible to transplant. I wanted it for the fall color.

I think the George O. White Nursery of the Mo. Dept of Conservation sells them in the spring. Here is a link to check it out. The order form won't come online until November. They have very reasonable prices, but you can't just get one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Native Plants

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 5:09AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

They grow in abundance for me volunatarily. If you're not in a hurry, I can get you some next summer.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 7:47AM
sweetwm007(6 b)

read yrs ago that sassafras tea was not good for you. believe it was in mother earth news or organic gardening.
william

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 9:22PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I have them growing across the road from my house. The county cuts that side along the road every year and it makes the sassafras trees send up new trees on the roots. I chopped one off the root and planted it in my back yard and was lucky enough to get it to grow. It's really hard to dig them up or to get a small one with any roots at all.

Good luck with your hunt.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 4:31PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I also read the tea is not good for you. If anyone is dozing a fence row or like jacey said along a graded road you might get some roots. If you planted the tree and watched it grow, you might not want to cut its roots. They have good fall color. A Mormon teacher used to buy the extract or syrup and put dry ice and water to make root beer. I don't know his recipe but he used to make it for Halloween at our school. The kids helped make it and thought it was fun.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 4:50PM
rockguy(7a)

Sassafrass has a lot of uses besides making tea from the root bark.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 4:56AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

>Sassafrass has a lot of uses besides making tea from the root bark.

Yes, one is to create gumbo file powder.

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
New plantings
As you may (or may not) be aware, I moved to Springdale...
dbarron
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™