unknown Missouri tree

enchantedplaceOctober 4, 2005

Does anyone know this tree. It was seen on October 1, 2005 at Stephens Lake Park Columbia MO. The tree was about 30 feet tall. I don't recall the structure of the bark. The scan is about 4 X the size of the sprig. The leaves are about 2 and 3/4 inches long and about 1 and 1/4 inches wide. It does not match the wild cherry trees in our woods which have longer , alternate, finely toothed leaves. The leaves are completely smooth around margins and on surface. The fruits are drupes similar to cherries. Could it be a variety of cherry or viburnum? EP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

The leaves are about double the size of the scanned image. EP

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 6:14PM
enchantedplace

I meant to say the leaves were half the size of the scanned image. Tree was identified for me on the tree forum. It was a beautiful tree. link below. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: nyssa sylvatica/ sour gum/ black gum

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 2:45AM
gldno1

EP, I have the book "Trees of Missouri" by Don Kurz and went through it, but dismissed the nyssa because the drawing shows a pointed tip leaf, but of course, a drawing isn't as good as a picture. Glad you found what it was.

gld

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 6:49AM
enchantedplace

gld.. The information states there are male and female trees which need cross pollunation for the female to bear fruit. I wonder if there could be a difference in the shape of the leaf. Hopefully , some day, we will have time to visit the botanical garden. I would enjoy seeing more of this tree. EP

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 10:37AM
rickMO(5)

Viburnum prunifolium-Blackhaw?

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 10:48AM
enchantedplace

Hi rick. I notice you have a degree in horticulture. Also that we were admiring the tree on your birthday. The leaf sprig with the drupe fruits is very similar to the black haw in our woods. The black haw leaves are a little rounder and the fruits are still green. The fruits from the sprig do have a sour taste as described for sour gum. The tree was much taller than the black haw in our woods which is a mature shrub. Hopefully, our grand daughter will be able to observe the tree in different seasons and give us feed back. Part of the 'delight' of living in this geographical area has been learning to identify the plants. thanks for the input. EP

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 12:22PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I didn't realize black gum and sour gum were the same thing. The photos I found had pointed tips. Going out to look at mine.
Sassafras has rounded tips like that, but the fruit is different I think.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 4:36PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Ep - Check out Chinese Fringe tree too. I'm was trying to find a pic of the leaves with the fruit but couldn't find a good one. The tips of the leaves are slightly rounded in some pics. Maybe native fringe tree is too sometimes. Most of the photos on the web are of the trees blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 5:29PM
enchantedplace

Black gum is listed in 'Roadside Trees and Shrubs of Oklahoma' by Doyle McCoy and the information is a match for the tree we observed in Missoui. It is a beautiful tree and we were unfamiliar with it. Now we will be noticing more of them if there are any in our area. Thanks for your feed back. EP

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 1:29PM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

EP , we have lots of them in our woods . They are the first to turn red in the fall . They ARE a pretty tree , but we have problems with them being too invasive if close to the yard , and they resprout when cut down .

Bookmark   October 6, 2005 at 9:14PM
china1940(Z5 MO)

In mid MO and around Columbia as you drive in from the East, there are trees growing in the wild and they are large trees with panicles of white flowers hanging down. This is usually about the last of may or or in June. (They are not Catalpa trees) Does anyone know what they could be. The flowers from a distince look like upside down lily of the valley, but a little larger, i have never been close up on a tree.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 5:15PM
beerhog(z7AR)

China, I think the tree you are seeing is sourwood.
Beerhog

Here is a link that might be useful: Sourwood

Bookmark   April 30, 2006 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Speaking of Gardens
Speaking of GardensToday's column in The Joplin Globe....
beadwitch
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
peaceofmind
Sponsored Products
Titan 3 Pendant
Design Within Reach
Alessi | Boston Shaker
$120.00 | YLighting
Titan 1 Pendant
Design Within Reach
New Unique Multi-Color Ikat 8'x10' Veg Dyed Hand Knotted Persian Wool Rug H3639
BH Sun Inc
Latitude´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$255.95 | Bellacor
Weekend Escape Duffel
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™