Best method for growing PF up porch pillars

tenrocMay 4, 2008

I have a couple volunteer vines growing near the pillars on my porch. What is the best (and easiest, hopefully - I am pregnant and due this Friday!) method for allowing the vines to grow up the pillars? They are doing very well this year and I want to get them situated before the baby is born, as well as in anticipation of guests. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Here's what I'd do. Ok... It's what I do.. And I'm in a wheelchair. (If I can, you can)

Get some of that "bird netting" at your favorite Big Box store. The stuff they use to cover fruit trees & beds & such? Ya that. You don't need much- 7' X 10' or 20' is Plenty.

You'll need a helper who can climb a ladder or stand on a bucket or whatever, a "putting up some posters" type staple-gun with 1/2" staples & an "I'm not a terrorist" box-cutter or reasonable facsimile.

Unroll a bit of the netting & have your helper staple a corner of it as high as they can reach on the pillar. Then once in the middle & once on the bottom.
Then unroll the netting around the pillar till it overlaps- Not so it's stretched tight but not hanging all over the place loose either. Staple it again top middle & bottom.

Take that box-cutter & cut the roll loose (I s'pose you could use scissors, but I can always find a knife first so that's what I use.. ^_^) without slicing what's already attached to the pillar.
Then put in a few more staples on the top of the pillar to hold the weight of the plant & done.

First one might take 10 minutes while you two figure it out & get the forgotten things (I always go out with 3 staples in the stapler & have to stop & go find s'more) but after that if each successive pillar takes more than 5 minutes I'd really be surprised.

Keep the rest of the netting- That stuff is *Awesome* as a quick & dirty trellis. Tack it to the wall, stick a climber below it (morning glories?) & they'll climb all over it.
It's black so it's very hard to see even when the vine(s) haven't covered it.. And to take it down later all it takes is a good strong yank.
Sure you can pry the staples out if you want, but they're not all that easy to see anyway.

Enjoy.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 3:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I use nylon fishing line but it has to be secured to the post as well. I grow passies and morning glories against a wooden fence and use the smallest C-hooks (I think that's what they are called) that screw in. I run the fishing line through them. The line is invisible and the hooks are small so once the vines grow you can't see them.
Karyn

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Ruby glow
My ruby has been looking weak lately. I upped the water...
tim45z10
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Establishing container 'Incense'
How long should I wait before I plunge a rooted cutting...
dbarron
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Where to buy?
Can anyone suggest a place to buy passion flower vines...
jwink246
Sponsored Products
Empire Four-Light Gold Finish with Clear-Crystals Ceiling-Light
$338.00 | Bellacor
Anna Pepper Mill by Alessi
$100.00 | Lumens
Margaux Baroque Tiffany Style Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Furniture of America Mircella 4-piece White Leatherette Bedroom Set
Overstock.com
Couristan Kashimar Oushak Brick Red Oriental Rug - 8415/2215-6.6X10.1
$999.00 | Hayneedle
Tiny Town´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Active Play &
$255.95 | Bellacor
Farmhouse Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Tom Dixon | Orientalist Scent Candle - Large
$160.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™