Sara Bernhardt and Festiva

natalie4b(7b GA)January 19, 2007

Just bought these two peonies, and wonder if they will do well in zone 8. All I know is to keep them away from afternoon sun.

Thanks!

~Natalie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

These should do fine in your zone. They love the sunshine and mine are in full sun here in sunny California. Al

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 9:36AM
natalie4b(7b GA)

That's great news! Thank you Calistoga.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 3:46PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Ours do great and we're zone 7b/8a. Good luck. Don't expect alot the first year or so.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 2:35AM
natalie4b(7b GA)

It looks like they both are surviving. I thought one was gone, since they were zapped by the frost. Now the new growth is coming up. Yay! I am happy!

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 9:15AM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Yeh they are supposed to get "zapped by the frost". They are herbaceous perrenials which means they die back to the ground every winter. That is when you should clear out the dead growth to the ground (don't rip them out just cut them or smthg). The next year they'll come back from the dirt like a bulb would (usually during the middle of spring).

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 11:11PM
gnabonnand(Zone 8 Texas)

Natalie, I'm on the line between 8a & 7b, and my 'Festiva Maxima' has large buds on it preparing to open. It took three years for this to happen, so be patient. Although no blooms during the first two years, the plant and its foliage were very nice. This year I'm actually getting blooms!

FYI, all the other varieties of peonies I've tried here have died. Therefore, it appears 'Festiva Maxima' is a good one for the south.

Randy

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 4:10PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

Thanks Randy. They both are doing well - having some greenery. I bought them as bare root I think: just a stump with some roots in plastic, not a container. Wow, they sure take a while to flower - few years. Talking about training in patience...
I will appreciate more the ones in my local nursery now, which are ready to bloom. It took growers few years of waiting to put them up for sale. Peonies are such gorgeous flowers!

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 5:57PM
pacnwgrdngirl(z8 WA)

Hi Natalie-
I'm in your zone, but way up north. I have three Sara's and they are gorgeous! (Just try and be patient, bare root takes a couple of seasons, I know it's hard.) I have a Sorbet that I bought two years ago bare root, it has blooms on it! Yeah! I also have a mystery peony that I bought at our local nursery. I saved it from the clearance table and I have no idea what it is, it has blooms too. Can't wait to see what it is.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 12:15PM
nmrbwt98

I was told by someone at a nursery that if you pour a bag of ice on peonies at Thanksgiving, Chirstmas and Valentine's Day you will get better flower production because the ice will simulate the cold weather they need. I forgot to do it last year and so far I have a nice looking plant but no flowers. I hope to remember this winter.

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 4:30PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

Interesting! I will give it a try. Thanks Nmrbw98.

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
cumulus_nimbus
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™