I recommend this annual

helenh(z6 SW MO)October 28, 2013

This cleome was given to me. I don't buy lots of $4 annuals in small pots. I will buy another one for sure next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosalita Proven Winners plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I liked these too. I put the angelonia in a pot and the cleome was in the garden. Both were given to me. I seem to buy the same things and now I will probably grow these every year. I probably posted about this before, but frost has killed most things and these lasted and were pretty until now.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple angelonia

This post was edited by helenh on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 14:30

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:26PM
rockwhisperer(6a)

Those are both really pretty. I used to grow the non-hybrid cleome at the other house. They reseeded like crazy so I had them for several years, up until we moved. Brought seeds out here and they just didn't come up. They did need to be pinched back, and I usually would end up cutting them almost to the ground during the hottest part of the summer. Then they'd come back and be pretty for fall.

I don't have one favorite annual, but I do love my neon orange / red / gold marigolds. Some of them might be "Sparky". They really come into their own in fall and are so cheerful. I was really taken with Dame's Rocket for awhile but I'm falling out of love with it. Too tall, falls over, goes to seed too fast, and is a biennial so doesn't bloom in the first year.

Next year I'm going to try Nicotiana affinis for the first time. I'm told it's very fragrant and attracts bees, butterflies and hummers.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:49AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Years ago I had a heavenly smelling red nicotiana. I have been trying ever since to get one that smelled that good. I think my nose got old. Nicotiana is one that will reseed here and there. If you don't want it where it comes up, you can move it. The babies look like little petunia seedlings. I have never had a problem with it taking over.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™