passiflora with the smallest leaves

atheris_squamigeraMay 10, 2007

Hi, does anyone know where I could find a list of all of the varieties of passiflora on the market? Or even better which type has the smallest leaves while still having showy flowers. I am thinking about bonsaiing one. It seems woody enough. The bonsai forum seems to think it can be done, and if you can bonsai jasmine why not passiflora? But bonsai looks best with small leafed plants. And incense(the one I wanted to do) has leaves that are much too large.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

The only passie I have with small leaves is the P. murucuja. The blooms are surprisingly big for such a small delicate vine. The stems, including the main one are so thin on this variety. I'm not sure how thick the main one would get but it could be an interesting experiment. I'd say the largest leaves are only about 2" across, if that and they aren't lobed.
Karyn

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 12:21AM
karyn1(7a)

I meant to say that the leaves aren't multi lobed. They are kind of fan shaped.
Karyn

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 12:22AM
jblaschke(8b TX)

I'm not at all certain you could bonsai any type of passiflora. The stems don't get woody until the plant is quite mature, and they only flower on new growth, so continually trimming them back would be counter-productive if you want flowers.

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™