Is it dead

Tinkerbel(7b/8a B.C)May 9, 2006

I have a P. caerulea on my deck in a container from last summer. It completely died down over the winter and it hasnt started budding , no green anywhere. My clematis's are growing great but not the Passiflora. I live in south west B.C Canada our winters are relativly mild so I thought it would be ok . How do I know if its dead ? I really hope it isnt because its my very favorite.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

Caerulea is one of the hardiest passiflora, and will die back to the ground over winter and regrow from the roots. Just because the stems show no green doesn't mean it's dead. I don't know how to tell if the roots are dead, however, short of A) waiting until summer to see if anything sprouts, of B) digging up the roots and checking them for brittleness, etc.

The good news is that caerulea is probably THE single most common passion flower in cultivation. It will be fairly easy to replace yours if it is indeed departed from this mortal coil.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tinkerbel(7b/8a B.C)

Thank you for your reply , I will indeed wait it out as it was a gift from my sister. Perhaps it's still s bit to chilly for it.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™