Queen palm overwintering inside

NYHamptons(7a/7b)February 9, 2013

Hi guys, I decided to buy a queen palm and to overwinter it inside and bury the pot underground from middle march - early december.
My question is, do they get very heavy? And considering they will be in a pot, will their maximum height be smaller? I don't want it more than let's say 15 feet, maybe 20 at most.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

They can get very heavy if it lives long enough, thousands of pounds. If it lives long enough it will reach 15 ft probably in 5 years or so depending on how happy it is.

May i suggest a palm for you? since you seem to like pinnate "feather palms" and are limited to space why not try a Chamaedorea radicalis "tree form"? its a very hardy small feather palm that can survive temps just below 20f. It likes part shade so being indoors for the winter wouldn't faze it as much as a queen.
Look them up. they are beautiful palms and hardy :D

goodluck
eric

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:07PM
NYHamptons(7a/7b)

I like them, but where can I buy them? I would need a larger one because they are probably slow growing. Someone mentioned that queens are really light, (i posted this just to confirm) so would they really weigh a lot when they're 15 feet?

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 6:49PM

hope this helps
http://www.junglemusic.net/careandcommon.asp?species=Chamaedorea%20radicalis

Queens are light at a young age, all plants are. But queens arent good for being potted long term. im guessing a healthy 15 ft tall queen would weigh around 200+ pounds.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 7:24PM
NYHamptons(7a/7b)

I like the radicalis, but I can't find a way to order it. How easy is it to protect it outside or in other words what would i have to do?

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 8:07PM

If you can find one i would suggest you bring it inside whenever temps go below 23f. if you wanted to protect it outside you could but bringing it indoors would be so much easier. Thus the reason i suggested such a compact palm in the first place.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 2:21AM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Windmill survival opinion
I have a windmill, only about 1 foot of trunk, maybe...
islandbreeze
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™