Make your own Itohs

KarenPA_6bJanuary 23, 2014

I came across this really interesting article regarding breeding itohs peonies. If you are interested in creating your own itoh peonies, this is a good place to start. Here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Itohs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

That is an interesting article, kousa. Have you tried the process? I've never collected seed before last fall, normally deadhead the peonies because they look so sad and pathetic after the blooms are gone (although there are a few that have non-droopy, interesting seed heads). I did have 3 new seedlings come up last spring, though. They're in a bed with P. Ostii and several herbaceous peonies, none of which I thought was fertile, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of them.
I actually got a couple of the lutea hybrids last fall but they are so tiny it'll be several years before I could try a cross for myself, you'll have to keep us posted on your results if you try it!

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:30PM
KarenPA_6b

No, I haven't tried any cross as I do not have any mature tree peonies nor any herbaceaous peonies that set seeds. I would like to be able to do this in a year or two. I bought a few herbaceous peonies last year that are supposed to be fertile so I hope that I can use them to breed some itohs or new peonies. These are Salmon Dream, Mackinac Grand, and Minnie Shaylor. I have only High Noon Tree Peony as a Lutea Hybrid Tree Peony. After I read the following snippet of the dissertation, I would like to acquire two more: Golden Experience and Souvenir de Maxine Kornu. Here is the link to the peony hybridization dissertation. Only the conclusion is available, but it gives a lot of info nonetheless.

Here is a link that might be useful: peony dissertation

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:23PM
littlebin

There is a website intersectionalpeonies.com discussing about how to make itoh peonies. You can even find the name of the mother and father plants. It may be very helpful to your guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Website on how to make Itoh peonies

This post was edited by littlebin on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 13:39

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:32PM
KarenPA_6b

Thanks, Littlebin. I have seen his website before but forgot the webaddress.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Sponsored Products
Howard Elliott Textured Gold Leaf 37" Square Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Royale Chenille
$65.00 | Home Depot
Sardinia Double-Tiered Outdoor Side Table - Black, 18" Round, Patio Furniture
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Plantation Chair
Grandin Road
Portside Patio Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$304.00 | Lumens