Need advice on how to manage height

Nana2(z5 OH)May 24, 2007

I was given two Passifloras as gifts: one had a *generic* tag of Passion Flower, the other was labeled Blue Bahama.

These were to replace a Patio Clematis which I lost in the long freeze this Spring.

The container is 20 x 20, with a 4 foot obelisk, which was perfect for the Patio Clematis, but I'm not so sure about the two Passifloras.

Would like to know if it would be better to twine the vines around the obelisk since they grow much taller the Clematis. Or, would it be better to prune the vines back before they reach the top?

They are already planted in the container..........and look lovely. The vines are now about two feet tall, and loaded with buds.

Am a newbie to Passifloras......but have a feeling that I could become addicted.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I'd just twine them around the obelisk or let them grow off of it onto a railing or something. If you keep pruning them back you'll lose a lot of blooms.
Karyn

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana2(z5 OH)

Thanks, Karyn. I was a little concerned that might happen if I kept them pruned back. Was hoping that they might just keep sending out new shoots.

I'm amazed at how many buds each plant has....from top to bottom. Can't wait for the first bloom to open.

Elaine

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
lindamarie
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™