tree peony germinations

daveinohio_2007(5)January 15, 2009

Three of last fall's tp seeds have germinated (top growth) so far: these are now growing in basement under fluor light.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigshoes213(7 Sardis, Ms)

That is great! Mine are still germinating. It has been a year now. Good news my clematis just sprouted after a year. I say my chances are slim on not killing it. Do you have any good advice on getting the tree peony to germinate?

Bookmark   January 20, 2009 at 11:50PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Bigshoes: are your tp seeds now in refrigerator?

Bookmark   January 21, 2009 at 9:08PM
bigshoes213(7 Sardis, Ms)

they were in the fridge last year for 3 or 4 months then taken out. I moved about 6 months ago and they have been outside in a shed with windows where my other plants are hanging out for the winter. So they have been kept cool for the last couple of months. I have given up hope on them but i just cant seem to throw them away. They are kept moist.

Bookmark   January 22, 2009 at 5:29PM
homemommy

A few years ago, I recovered some tree peony seeds at a local park. I got them all to sprout, but... they would not shake off the seed coating and all died. They looked kind of funny, like seeds on stems!

What did I do wrong?

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 9:39PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Your seeds had produced roots. You should have then potted them and put them in your refrigerator for 1-3 months. The part of the root near the seed swells, then splits open, and the top growth emerges from this split. When top growth appears, remove from frig. Yes, the seed ends up being an appendage sticking out from the side of the seedling. Very Peculiar!

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Looking for fernleaf peony
I am looking for Fern leaf peony double flower. Can...
bunti
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™