great cold peony weather!!

vieja_gw(z7NM)January 6, 2007

Recent temps down to 12 degrees at night occasionally & 21 inches of snow in two weeks here in Albuquerque zone 7.... should be great for peonies, rhubarb & apples the coming summer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Sounds great, on another site people are reporting that the weather is so strange that parts of Canada are were not frozen a week ago. I have given some peony plants to some one living in Penasco with instructions to give me a report on how they grow. Do you have any friends that live 7000 or higher that grow peonies. I would like to find out a timetable for where they are planted, when they come up, and a thousand other questions.

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vieja_gw(z7NM)

Peñasco, New Mexico? Very pretty place north of here! I suspect Santa Fe also must be around 7000 feet & I've read of people that grow peonies there. I come from far NE Iowa & my grandmother had dozens of peony plants (my VERY favorite!) that must have been over 50 years old ... only thing I remember her doing was always throwing her dishwater out on them & only them! I had bad luck the first few tries here both full sun & shade but I must have found one spot 'in between' for they have done beautifully ever since there. Only sad part is that in this dry climate the wonderful fragrance just isn't the same as I remember back in Iowa nor in the lilacs either. Maybe I can find someone in SF that can tell you.

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
Cumulus-nimbus
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™