I wish I had the room for Gauguin!

iowa_jade(C 5b H 6)February 9, 2007

Perhaps I will get lucky and something will die or something. It took me for ever to kill Festiva Maxima.

Does any one have Gauguin and how do you like it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gauguin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rian(7va)

I'm sure Gauguin has it's virtues, but if I were you I'd get another festiva. It's my all time favorite peony, although rockii is a close second.

Bookmark   February 9, 2007 at 4:46PM
maifleur01

That picture does not do it justice. However like a lot of this type of bloom each flower will be slightly different.
Daphnis has many wonderful plants to his credit. Although I think I prefer Bill Siedl's tp's but you can only import from Austrialia for now.

Bookmark   February 9, 2007 at 9:19PM
rian(7va)

I know Gauguin is a lutea hybrid but I can find no mention of scent in the descriptions. I guess an artist like Daphnis would primarily be interested in color. Does Gauguin have any detectable fragrance?

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 8:54AM
iowa_jade(C 5b H 6)

I still have two Festiva Maximas. Hey that is an idea!

I moved and divided an old clump and the tubers that I missed just kept coming and coming.

One of the things that interested me in Gauguin was the changing color aspect. Fragrance would be a plus! Thanks for your imput!

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 8:38PM
maifleur01

Gauguin has a very light fragrance which is nice because the blooms are definately a stick your nose in type. If you can purchase one this spring cheap buy it but in the meantime check out your local display gardens and parks. Many now have added tree peonies to their collections and Gauguin is one many have added to their collections. With the garden shows starting you may find blooming plants in the displays.

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™