how best to move

hoyess(z5 ON Can)February 6, 2006

I planted 5 peonies last fall (Karl Rosenfield) from 1 gallon pots. Unfortunately this bed is now going to be changed so I have to move them. I know they prefer to be moved in the fall but will have to move them this spring. Any recommendations on how to do this and will I get blooms this year anyway? I assume the earlier the better?

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I think if you can keep the clump as intact as you can, you will be as likely to see blooms this spring as you would have if not moving. Before they start any growth is the best time. I have planted bare root in the spring & gotten some weak blooms, sounds like your roots "should" be mature enough to bloom & with some luck, moving won't delay that.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judyefd(6ma/4vt)

Due to sad circumstances, I had to move my peonies last Spring while they were in bud, after just moving them there the previous Fall. Here's the advice a professional gardening friend gave me:

Soak the peonies; dig big root ball - packing the dirt toward the plant center with shovel as you dig. Put into large pot or burlap. Replant as soon as possible. Put compost into the new hole. (prep the new area as early as possible with compost) She also recommended shading the plants during midday for awhile after the transplant.

I moved 3 budding peonies at the end of May, and the two older plants came to full bloom in June!! It perked me right up!

And, yes, the earlier you can move them, the better.

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
Sponsored Products
Coco Chair in Chili Pepper
Grandin Road
Hughes Single Arm Sofa - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Agua Red and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$345.00 | Bellacor
Madras Dyed Rug 8' x 10' - PURPLE
$4,799.00 | Horchow
New Hand Knotted 3' x 16' Super Heriz Serapi Runner Red/Navy Wool Rug - H3295
BH Sun Inc