Afraid of Peony

nyboyFebruary 22, 2013

Hi I was told that if peony where not planted at perfect depth they would never flower. That always made me stay away from them. last night a big box store had 6 peony roots for $12, at $2 a plant I said lets try. Should I plant now in pots inside or wait and plant right in garden? How deep should bare root peony be planted? Any tips? Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

I usually find that whenever I plant them too deep, they will eventually find themselves back to the right depth, but if you want them to flower fast, just plant them right at ground level so those red buds are slightly poking out of the soil.

Many times, peonies don't flower because it is either too shady or the soil is too poor. If you happen to have bad soil, I would suggest mixing in some manure, or other organic materials, and especially something like azomite or volcanic rock dust which can ensure that the micro-nutrients are in there.

I would suggest getting them now, and then plant them in the ground given that your soil is not frozen. All kinds of peonies are very cold hardy.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 3:51PM
KarenPA_6b

Can I ask you which big box store is offering the peonies and whether they are named?

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 7:00PM
nyboy

Home depote not named just says mixed for that price I couldn't pass it up!! Thanks

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 9:03AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I usually buy a box from costco every year. They are always labeled, and usually two different ones per box of 3 or 4 plants. Of course they are mini, some more mini than others. I always pot them up for the first year, so I have better control. Next fall, or early winter here, I will plant them in the garden. They will be well rooted in one gallon pots then, and always do well in the garden. Al

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™