Passion Fruit!

silybum(Sunset 16/z8b)May 26, 2005

I'm so excited. The Passion Flowers I planted on May 13th are so happy! The Edulus Black Knight has been blooming since I planted it, and today the Edulus Fredrick had its first bloom.

I was going to try out a little of that hand pollinatin thing, but when I went to look at the Black Knight, I noticed it was already setting fruit! I didn't know this would be so easy. So I left well enough alone, and hopefully the Fredrick will set some fruit as well.

I wonder if all the nasturtiums that are blooming so profusely nearly by helped attrack bees to do the work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plummy(9b nor-cal)

I was very glad too to see little fruit on mine. Last year I had literaly about 100 fruit on my vine but this year snails ate lots of the flowers and some fell of in the rain. I think I had fruit in June last year and there weren't anymore in October. Hopefuly I will still have a good crop. Oh and about the pollination you willbe surprised i was looking and I saw ants pollinating my vine. Hope ya get good fruit :)

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 12:07AM
silybum(Sunset 16/z8b)

Thanks.

When is it ready to harvest? Any signs I should look for? I never actually had a passion fruit before.

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 11:53AM
plummy(9b nor-cal)

They are ready to harvest when purple some times I let them get a bit rinkly. I don't know why but you're suposed to.

Bookmark   May 28, 2005 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™