when to transplant

karyn1(7a)June 17, 2006

I just received a Murucuja and a Violetta from Kartuz. They are small but healthy looking in 2" pots. Should I wait until I see roots coming from the bottom to transplant or should I go to a larger pot now? Kartuz recommends a gallon sized pot after a week. I have mature container grown passifloras in 3-15 gallon sized pots but the new plants are so tiny. I wasn't sure that I should jump right to a gallon container from a 2" pot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Good question-
I would wait for a bit.. Maybe bury 1/4th of them in a bigger pot just to be sure they don't dry out- 'Cource the roots will probably grow through the little pot & into the bigger one.. But me? I'd wait untill the new guys are 4 to 6" tall before I transplanted them.

But that's just me.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 1:23AM
karyn1(7a)

One plant is about 8" the other a bit smaller. I was just surprised that Kartuz recommended going from a 2" pot directly to a 1 gallon container. I know passion vines like room but that seemed kind of extreme. I was thinking of going to a quart container but was wondering what others do.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:10AM
Mystyspassion(Z6 NJ)

I also just received 2 of my plants from Kartuz and personally I do the same thing with all plants that I order and are 2 - 8" when received; I let them adapt to the light, etc. after the shipping; once I see that they have adapted I transplant them to an 8" pot; once they start growing rapidly then I transplant them to the largest pot that they will spend the summer in. which is usually a 10-15 gallon pot. I personally like to do this rather than constantly transplanting I think it reduces shock, etc. And all of my Passi's for the past 7 years have done very well this way. The only ones I did differently this year were the Square Stem Plants I put those in 1-2 gallon pots instead of the 8" pots and once the outgrow those they will go into the Largest pots. Basically I only like to transplant 2 times; once 2 days after arrival and then again to their permanent Pot. But that's just how I do things and so far it has worked very well for me.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 10:27AM
karyn1(7a)

An 8" pot is exactly what I put them in. I let them adjust for a week or so before transplanting and they are doing fine, lots of new growth. I'll transplant again into a large container within a month or two. Thanks for the info. This is the first year that I've had varieties other than my Lavander Lady, which I couldn't kill if I wanted! lol

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
lindamarie
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
Where to buy?
Can anyone suggest a place to buy passion flower vines...
jwink246
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™