when to transplant

karyn1(7a)June 17, 2006

I just received a Murucuja and a Violetta from Kartuz. They are small but healthy looking in 2" pots. Should I wait until I see roots coming from the bottom to transplant or should I go to a larger pot now? Kartuz recommends a gallon sized pot after a week. I have mature container grown passifloras in 3-15 gallon sized pots but the new plants are so tiny. I wasn't sure that I should jump right to a gallon container from a 2" pot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Good question-
I would wait for a bit.. Maybe bury 1/4th of them in a bigger pot just to be sure they don't dry out- 'Cource the roots will probably grow through the little pot & into the bigger one.. But me? I'd wait untill the new guys are 4 to 6" tall before I transplanted them.

But that's just me.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 1:23AM
karyn1(7a)

One plant is about 8" the other a bit smaller. I was just surprised that Kartuz recommended going from a 2" pot directly to a 1 gallon container. I know passion vines like room but that seemed kind of extreme. I was thinking of going to a quart container but was wondering what others do.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:10AM
Mystyspassion(Z6 NJ)

I also just received 2 of my plants from Kartuz and personally I do the same thing with all plants that I order and are 2 - 8" when received; I let them adapt to the light, etc. after the shipping; once I see that they have adapted I transplant them to an 8" pot; once they start growing rapidly then I transplant them to the largest pot that they will spend the summer in. which is usually a 10-15 gallon pot. I personally like to do this rather than constantly transplanting I think it reduces shock, etc. And all of my Passi's for the past 7 years have done very well this way. The only ones I did differently this year were the Square Stem Plants I put those in 1-2 gallon pots instead of the 8" pots and once the outgrow those they will go into the Largest pots. Basically I only like to transplant 2 times; once 2 days after arrival and then again to their permanent Pot. But that's just how I do things and so far it has worked very well for me.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 10:27AM
karyn1(7a)

An 8" pot is exactly what I put them in. I let them adjust for a week or so before transplanting and they are doing fine, lots of new growth. I'll transplant again into a large container within a month or two. Thanks for the info. This is the first year that I've had varieties other than my Lavander Lady, which I couldn't kill if I wanted! lol

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow in Southern California
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow...
annyonce
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
Sponsored Products
Mia Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Cloud Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Resorts Blue/ Natural Rug (4' x 5'7)
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Fireside Patio Mats Rugs Navajo Breeze Burgundy and
$79.99 | Home Depot
Dot Coffee Press - Brown - Stelton
$75.00 | HORNE
Sempli Set of 2 Cupa Shot Glasses
Classic Hostess
Schonbek Quantum Block 13" Spectra Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
French Bulldog Stamp
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHFH-H3130 Curved Instant Hot Water Dispenser