tree peony

nash777February 16, 2014

I have a two year old dark maroon tree peony variety with a light spicy fragrance, have lost the tag so am not sure of the the specific variety. It had suckers from base last year. Think it must be from rootstalk because they bloomed but with strange, small greenish flowers after the main stalk bloomed. My dog jumped over the container and snapped the entire single woody stem off to the base. It now has shoots starting, wondering if I will still get my big 'black' flowers or if it will all be rootstock stems. Not sure how high the graft generally is. I am obviously planning on waiting to see what it does this year but thought you might have an opinion on this situation. I will keep the plant in either case and will be patient if it will come back. They are expensive plants and this is my favorite, so are worth waiting for. However, if it will not be the 'black' flowers I will try to acquire a replacement soon while they are available at my local nursery

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graycrna4u

TP leaves and herbaceous rootstock leaves will not look the same. Trim off suckers as soon as they start to grow at ground level and mound more soil around the TP or replant it deeper. Yes, it will grow back but you must be patient. Allowing the rootstock to grow can/will damage/kill the TP and it's root development.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 4:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

It is my practice when planting a tree peony from a container to plant it 6 inches deeper than it was in the container. This keeps the rootstock from growing stems that compete with the graft for energy. Al

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™