Snow Peas?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)November 23, 2008

I buy the frozen stir-fry vegetables sometimes that have a few snow pea pods mixed in and we like those. Has anyone tried to grow them? I wonder if they're easy to grow in the Ozarks. I saw them in a couple catalogs including Stokes. I would want a variety that's stringless.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ceresone(missouri ozarks)

LOL--would'nt you know I've tried them?? But this year for the first time. I'm beginning to think I like everything better in the garden. I froze about 2 gallon, same as the English peas, I dont know, maybe in the middle of the winter they"ll taste better. But sitting in the garden, trying one, they're much better that taking them from the freezer.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 10:24AM
jspeachyn5

I am going to try them this year too. I think I will go w/taichung.
They are from kitazawa seed co.
They are listed as sugar peas. but they say that they are grown for the sweet taste raw in salad or stir-fry.
What type do you think you will try?
Which ones did you go with Ceresone?
When you put your in the freezer did you blanch them first or just wash and freeze them?
Bonnie

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 2:23PM
gldno1

I have never done snow peas, but love the sugar snaps and do raise a few.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 6:35PM
mulberryknob

I tried Oregon Mammoth Snow peas years ago, but with limited success. Have been growing Super Sugar Snaps for several years. Once I learned that they needed to germinate at warm temps and started them on a plant bench with a heating cable in peat pots I had better success. I try to have them in the ground by March 1 after sowing the seed on Feb 15. I may try snow peas again and see if I have luck germinating them warm. Getting a stand was a problem with them too as I recall.

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 11:17PM
gldno1

I didn't realize they needed warmer soil than garden peas. I will try to remember that come spring.

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 5:29AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thank you Dorothy! I didn't know either. I'm so glad you've been posting a lot lately. : )

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 10:18AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Many posts are missing. I just had a brain wave; I am going to use a wall of water on my sweet peas that are getting too tall in my basement.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 6:42PM
More Discussions
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
looking for certain pepper
Howdy, Ozark gardeners. I am looking for seeds of a...
strongeagle
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™