Got seedlings ... now what?

viper4358June 20, 2006

I bought P. Incarnata seeds off ebay recently and 4 days after sowing I had signs of life. Now, a week later I have 14 seedlings that are 3-5" tall with immature (round) leafs. They are getting close to the top of my propagator and I would like to know when it is safe to move them to individual pots? After repotting, should I continue to keep them in a closed system for a while? Also, what type of potting mix should I use? They germinated in straight peat. Is a 50/50 mix of good potting soil and perlite a good choice, or should I stick with peat and apply a liquid fertilizer? Thanks for your help! - MP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kiwinut

I think you are pampering these too much. Remember, P. incarnata is a weed, and can grow in very poor soil. Throw them in some dirt. Seriously, you should have no problem moving them to bigger pots. If they have been in a very humid environment, you may want to gradually expose them to drier air over a few days.

I made the mistake of tossing some fruit into my compost bin last year. I now have hundreds of these things coming up around every plant that got compost this spring.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 3:58PM
angie83(9)

Wow u really Lucky i bought many seed for passion and they never sprout for me u know who u bought them from might give them a try the seeds had to be really fresh to sprout so soon. angie

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 5:49PM
viper4358

Angie - I bought them on EBAY from "rickattheauction". Looks like he sells a lot of different things. They were advertised as fresh. I am really surprised by the results. Also bought 35 P. Caerula seeds from another source and haven't had any germinate yet. Good luck - MP

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 10:42AM
patsy_b(z8 Tx)

I have found that the fresher seed sprout the fastest. I do not clean my seed or do anything else other than removing from the fruit and putting in warm moist potting soil. I have gone the soaking route with orange juice, milk, and several other things with poor luck but with fresh seed you will usually get really good germination and fairly fast.
Patsy

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 6:43AM
viper4358

Kiwinut - Thanks for the advice. Probably pampering too much. Rolled down the tent over a couple of days and put in morning sun. They are taking off now. Also, got my first P.Caerula to germinate yesterday. - MP

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow in Southern California
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow...
annyonce
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™