Big box store peony root: a little shriveled...help?

orchidaddict_789(MD)March 17, 2013

I bought a peony root from the big box store. It is a herbaceous peony. It has three new small shoots attached to a thick brown root that is about 6" long. I noticed the root is a bit shriveled and wrinkled. The new shoots feel a little soft to the touch. Is something wrong? Do you suppose these are signs of dryness? Or rot? or some other problem? I don't see any mold though and I haven't planted/watered yet. Can it still survive?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

I would suggest potting it up in very good soil, and making sure it is well watered. Peonies usually don't dry out, but if it was simply dry in the package without any diseases, it could recover.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 1:44AM
calistoga_al

I agree with the suggestion. If followed it will be fine. That thick brown root contains stored energy that will send out new feeder roots to replace those that are dried. Al

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:27AM
nelsoncastro

Definitely, potting it up in very good soil, and making sure it is well watered. As this plant requires an area about three feet in diameter. Dig a generous hole, large enough to accommodate the roots and incorporate aged organic matter in the bottom.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™