paper white bulbs

helenh(z6 SW MO)November 21, 2012

I bought some weeks ago. Do any of you plant them. I forgot how to do it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

I buy them every year and keep in refrigerator.
Force them 3 to 5 at a time in a pretty, shallow, flat container with rocks or marbles and have them in the house all winter. They smell so good! Then when finished, I let them dry off and plant them in the yard in the spring. Takes a couple years, but they do bloom again out there.

To get blooms, you put the bulbs down on the rocks, add water, put in cool, semi-shaded place until roots form to hold the bulbs up, then put them in a sunny window until you start to see bloom tips. Then I put them where I want them inside. Be sure to keep the water level up in the container so the roots are wet. Could put few pieces of agri. charcoal to keep the water sweet.

A few years Sam's Club had a big bag of 30 and I shared bulbs for Christmas gifts to neighbors, along with fudge, etc.

I love that springtime scent on my kitchen table when the snow is flying outside!
Sunny

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 8:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

That sounds great. Thank you. I hadn't thought of keeping them in the refrigerator because I thought they didn't need a chill time, but it might keep them from growing too soon. Some of mine are already sprouting from being in their box in the warm house. 3 to 5 at a time is a good idea because my 25 bulbs will last longer that way. I got mine at Sam's. They sent all their bulbs back to the vendor because of Christmas. I was looking for more crocus and daffodils last weekend.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™