Transplanting while in bloom

karyn1(7a)June 27, 2006

Is it safe to transplant my passion flowers while they are blooming? I noticed bunches of roots growing out of the bottom of the pots. Will transplanting cause them to drop their buds?

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

karyn1,
I always repot mine when they need it-blooming or not. I haven't noticed any bloom drop from this. I repotted 6 blooming passies this year. 5 are blooming (the last one I repotted in too large of pot and is getting larger but not blooming again yet.)
When you repot, do not pot up over about 2 pot sizes though, because they seem to bloom much better potbound. If they have alot of new root room all of a sudden, they will put energy into growing roots and foilage and not blooms right away.
I would rather have to repot more often and have more blooms so I usually only pot up one pot size at a time. If it is a really hot day I would do it in the shade or in the evening, and water immediately after repotting and leave it in dappled shade a day or two to recover. Make sure to use well drained soil with lots of perlite added. Good luck
~SJN

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 1:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I transplanted them and the blooms were unaffected. I did go into a much larger pot on a couple but those had not begun to form buds. Thanks.
Karyn

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™