Has anyone had good luck storing dahlias?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)November 5, 2012

I have a few dahlias I want to try to dig and store and I haven't taken the time to research the best way to do that. For most things, my garage is too cold and my basement is too warm. I need a place that's in-between.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have trouble with caladiums rotting and so I probably would have a similar problem with dahlias. I would invest in more if I knew how to save them over winter.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 12:34PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Christie, why dig them? Mine come back every year with just a shredded leaf mulch on them over winter. I store the cannas in their dirt in the garage or under the bench in the cold place in the greenhouse. This year I just lifted the whole root balls out of the 4 pots and am storing them all together in a huge pot. The colors will stay separated that way, I hope. The caladiums don't all make it, but I've read you can store them in perlite. I might try that this year.
Sunny

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 8:01AM
ceresone(missouri ozarks)

I very seldom lose any. I've dug, put in peat moss, and dirt. This year, I put in pots with dirt and put in garage. its unheated, but I put them next to the house wall. I sometimes lose a few. but I always have more ordered for spring. One of my vices I guess. I've ordered 45 pots also, to have then on the deck this spring--deer ate freely this year, on them in the garden.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™