Constance Elliott in San Antonio

jblaschke(8b TX)June 12, 2006

Any folks in the San Antonio area looking for p. caerulea "Constance Elliott" can find a whole heck of a lot of 'em at Milberger's Nursery on the 1604 loop, north side. They had well over a dozen 5'-6' plants in five gallon containers for $24.99. Looked very healthy in full sun, so ought to be hardened off and ready to put in the ground. Only a couple were actively blooming, but many had buds and several were growing fruit. There were a couple other varieties there as well (Blue Sky, iirc, and LOTS of p. vitifolia in 1 gallon containers for $12.99) but Constance Elliott was by far the dominant passiflora. There were only two CE's in 1 gallon containers, and I ended up buying one. So if you want one, that's where to go.

As an addendum to this story, I planted my Constance Elliott in our front flower bed yesterday late in the evening. I have a huge Incense growing on one side of the bed, and I wanted something to balance as well as contrast with it (Gulf Fritliary cats have absolutely *devastated* the Incense in recent weeks). I went home for lunch today, and after seeing a butterfly land on the CE as I was driving up, I figured I'd better check on it, so that it's not eaten before it can get established. Friends and neighbors, I picked EIGHTEEN eggs off that little plant! I'll wager I pick an equal number off this evening as well. I love those butterflies as much as the next person, but it was well into August before they stripped my Incense last year. What is it with them this year?

More Discussions
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
First 'Oaklandia' Bloom of the Season
From this, March, after being frozen all the way back: To...
Northbay12
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
lindamarie
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™