Bud hardiness of tree peonies

bubba62March 20, 2008

I have 5 or 6 tree peonies with several flower buds each (not showing color yet, but fully formed). We have a forecast of 29 degrees for Sunday and Monday nights, and I'm wondering if I should attempt to protect these buds or the new growth on the plants. I know they're extremely hardy while dormant, but maybe not once dormancy has broken?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

For the past three years I've been protecting my seemingly-overeager tree peony, which often begins unfurling its leaf buds as early as February here along the New Jersey shore. Well, this year the protective "tipi" materials were just too far buried in the shed and I had to let it fend for itself, swelling flower buds and all, through temps similar to yours .... and it's looking just fine.

When I think of the time and effort I'd been spending, removing the tipi on sunny days, replacing it before cold nights, putting water-filled jugs in there to help stave off the cold ...

FYI, the variety I have is 'Feng Dan', growing in a well-amended but basically very sandy soil in part shade. The flower buds may not be as far along as yours; they're just a bit larger than my thumbnail - about 3/4" long, but it's definitely broken dormancy. Keep in mind that some varieties may be more cold-hardy than others.

Diane

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 11:24AM
maifleur01

Down to about 20F if in leaf stage fairly safe for tp's. If becomes colder cover up lightly with cheap sheets. The 7F we had last Easter was too cold and killed most of the buds. If you have room plant in a place that is in shade until later in the season, such as north side of house.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 9:12PM
bubba62

Thanks to both of you for your help - I won't panic about this, given your experiences. Now if I could just figure out how to protect the Bletillas and Arisaemas that insist on breaking dormancy so early...

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 4:58AM
flowergirl70ks

In all the years I've grown tree peonies(41) I have only had buds freeze once. It was Shimadaijin. Herbaceous is another story.

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
My one peony
We had an unusual hard freeze early last fall here...
bouldergrower
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
Sponsored Products
Rania Acrylic Bath Bar
Lightology
Large White Metal Candle Tree - XF00130-W
$250.99 | Hayneedle
Lovebird Jewelry Tree
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
New Ivory Chobi Peshawar 8' Square Hand Made Authentic Pakistani Wool Rug H3817
BH Sun Inc
8 Lights Tiffany Style Lily Flower & Jewelry d�cor Chandelier
ParrotUncle