Quad-hybrids?

Stig_of_the_Dump(8)March 4, 2011

In an article I read quad-hybrids were mentioned as the "peonies of the future". Could anyone tell me more about them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveinohio_2007(5)

Stig,
A quad hybrid is produced by combining four species.
Saunders' Athena is an example; it is P lactiflora x (P offinalis x (P mlokosewitchii x P macrophylla)).

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 1:56PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

officinalis

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 3:00PM
Stig_of_the_Dump(8)

I suppose the aim is to get the leaves of one, the flowers of another, or a mix that is special, etc.?

I must try to get hold of some of Saunders' hybrids. Is Athena the best quad? I know it is a matter of taste, but.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 3:52AM
newine_gw

Athena seems to be the most striking of the quad hybrids that I have been able to identify....certainly the easiest to obtain. I planted it last fall so will be able to see first hand sometime this summer. I am currently debating whether to select Starlight(quad) or to go for Claire de Lune(Lemoine)this fall...they are somewhat similar in appearance.Saunders also has a good many triple hybrids which are very attractive...the quads all seem to be singles and somewhat pale in colour. Incidentally did you find a source for macrophylla etc. somewhat closer than the west coast of Canada?

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 1:15PM
Stig_of_the_Dump(8)

Saunders' hybrids really seems to be a great collection. The species. Well, I live in Norway, and it seems like I have to order them from Holland next fall. Even there they are hard to find. I wonder why they are so hard to get hold off, the prices are really high but it should be possible to build stocks of these beauties.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 3:18PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Stig,
My wife's grandparents came from Norway. Family name is Meldahl. Are any Meldahls near you?
dave

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 9:10PM
Stig_of_the_Dump(8)

Yes, there are lots,it seems, especially in Aalesund and Molde. 3-4 hours drive north of Forde where I live. I do not know any Meldahls personally. However, I did find a Meldahl in the Bergen area searching for relatives on the net. I will send you the link, it seems he has done a lot of research, perhaps you even know him? Anyway, you should visit the west coast of Norway sometimes, the fjords are amazing. Aalesund and Bergen are quite special and well worth a visit. You could take the Hurtigruta boat up the coast from Bergen, it is stunning. I went up and down the coast whilst in the navy years and years ago. Well, I am getting carried away here.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 4:03PM
daveinohio_2007(5)

Such a trip would be spectacular! And expensive!
When is the weather best for such a trip: July? August?

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 8:23PM
Stig_of_the_Dump(8)

Sometime between June and September, in my opinion. June is very fresh and green, still with snow at the peaks. My favorite time of the year - waiting for the lactifloras to bloom..

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 2:21AM
More Discussions
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™