*&$@ Squirrels!!!!!

karyn1(7a)June 21, 2007

Is there something tasty about passiflora buds? I thought it was kind of unusual that some varieties weren't blooming even though I thought I'd seen buds. The squirrels are picking them off and eating them!!! I have so had it with the woodland critters this season. First it was the birds, chipmunks, rabbits and deer, now the damn squirrels. They are also burying peanuts (that some fool is feeding them) in my containers and the chipmunks are digging them up. I could understand the squirrels going after the fruit but why the buds? I got a recipe for a nasty concoction meant to keep the deer away. I'll spray it on the passies and see if that stops the squirrels. It smells so bad that I can't spray it without gagging! lol

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Wow Karyn, you sure are having problems this year! I guess I should be thankful for just having bug and bird problems.
I think you should get a BB gun and start target practicing on them lol. Deer are really persistant critters, we used to have a 12 ft high deck that had a narrow winding staircase to it. I had herbs planted up there and those crazy deer would climb the stairs up to the deck in broad daylight and eat my herbs. I started keeping my dog out there for awhile and she would chase them off but soon as she came back in, here come the deer..
~SJN

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 6:10PM
karyn1(7a)

We have some bold wildlife here and the only thing that runs away are the chipmunks. My dog will chase the squirrels but they get just out of her reach and taunt her. She doesn't chase rabbits because she was trained not to bother our pet rabbits and she can't tell the difference. As for the deer they just stand there and eat, completely ignoring Bailey. I'm afraid a buck will attack her with it's antlers if she tries to do anything. She's not a small dog either. She's a shepard/doberman mix but she's a wimp. This has been the worst year for wildlife damage here. I've been in this house for 21 years and it's never been like this. I don't know what the reason is. There's plenty of food in the woods and there's no construction to speak of in this area. I joke about it but I'm really pissed off.
Karyn

PS: If I shot a BB gun around here I'd end up in jail! I couldn't shoot an animal anyway. I don't even kill bugs. lol

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 10:39PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

A BB gun won't kill an animal. Won't even break the skin--just sting them something fierce. And BB guns are air pressure propelled, so the only sound them make is a soft *poof*. Haven't you ever watched "A Christmas Story"? (You'll shoot your eye out! ;-)

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Sponsored Products
XtremeAIR 36 Inch Wall Mount Stainless Steel Range Hood DL08-W36
eModern Decor
Akimbo Antique Bronze 48-Inch High Six-Light Linear Suspension Pendant
$906.40 | Bellacor
Kichler Everly Chrome 12" Wide Glass Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Squirrel Cookie Cutter Set
$6.99 | zulily
Campania International Small Squirrel Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-109-AL
$34.99 | Hayneedle