Hard Freeze

sweet_betsy No AL Z7March 25, 2014

We are scheduled for an unseasonable hard freeze tonight with 24 degrees predicted. Should peonies that have several inches of growth be severely affected?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

Just to be on safe side, maybe you should cover them. The hard freeze won't kill the plants, but they may damage/kill the flower buds. In that case, you won't have any flowers for this season and that would be a shame.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:27PM
gardenper(8)

Yes cover them up. Even if the plant root survives, you'll dread seeing the dead leaves/stalks for a few weeks anyway. Compare that to opening up your cover tomorrow morning and see the weather temps back up and your plant doing just fine because you took a little bit of extra precaution.

I also learned my lesson this year about certain other plants (not peonies). Their roots may do fine with the low temperatures but their leaves and stalks that are up above ground need to be protected (even a new leaf compared to an old leaf, the new leaf needs more protection on the same plant)

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 4:58PM
graycrna4u

If they have flower buds cover them (a gallon ziplock baggie works nicely). If no flower buds, don't worry about it. They are cold weather flowers.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:11PM
KarenPA_6b

The most damage that can occur for your plants is if the temps goes from 24 to say 60 degrees in a 24 hours period. It is the sudden freeze and thaw that the leaves and buds can't take. However, if the freeze and subsequent warmups are gradual, then the damage maybe lessened.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Sponsored Products
Madison Black Five-Light 23.5-Inch Wide Chandelier
$598.00 | Bellacor
Herman Miller | AeronĀ® Basic Graphite
YLiving.com
Stylish Button Tufted Penka Headboard - IDF-7989GR-HB-T
$189.99 | Hayneedle
Shine Pendant Light
Overstock.com
Rolling Cart Coffee Table
| Dot & Bo