Virus?

sedum_gal(z8, Seattle)June 20, 2013

Hi Gardenwebbers,

I'm not very experienced with Passifloras, and I'm not sure what to make of this one...
I was given a whole bunch of seedlings, labeled P. lutea. The flowers are very small and yellow. Some have this sickly variegation (looks virused, to me)----others are just fine.
My questions:

1) IS this a virus, and should I yank the affected ones?

2) Do any of you want to trade? The healthy (normal looking) plants should flower this year, and I'd love to expand my passiflora collection.

Thanks!

~Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

It could be Cucumber mosaic virus. Take a look at this link, which describes Passiflora leaf diseases and shows images of the diseased leaves to help with i.d.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora diseases

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark4321_gw

It really reminds me of what I saw in my previous P. membranacea plant (when I was living in a different location). I was assured by several people that the problem was chlorosis, and that's just what it looked like in that species. Both P. membranacea and P. lutea are Decalobas, so closely related. It's reasonable to think that the same problem should look similar. For my P. membranacea, the problem seemed to be worse with high temperatures and lots of sun.

Here's what I was told is chlorotic P. membranacea. It looks piinkish in spots because the undersides of the leaves are often purple.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 6:19PM
More Discussions
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™