passion vines NOT flowering

annaliz_gardenerJune 26, 2006

I have two passion vines in large clay pots. I have had them for four years. The first two years they bloomed beautifully. Last year they only had a couple flowers. This year none so far. I did fertilize in Spring, but not since. It does get hot and humid here but I don't think that's what's effecting them. I believe it's in the dirt, and the nutrition they haven't gotten, and the wrong fertilizer. I know potted plants need more nutrients such as organic matter. I have used epson salts in the past and it seemed to help, but not much. Sure miss those blooms!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

Your problem might actually be the opposite of what you suspect. Passiflora, by and large, have evolved to grow in poor soil conditions. In many cases, fertilizer only encourages aggressive vegetative growth and inhibits flowering.

It might help if you let us know what types of passis you have in pots. For the most part, passis like it hot and humid, and many species flourish in Z8.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 12:25PM
romando(9b/10a , sunset 17)

I'm having the same problem with my large 'frederick' and quad. passi's. They are in containers as well, and I don't fertilize.

Amanda 'romando'

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 1:59AM
tommitoes

Passiflora edulis var. "frederick" is a heavy feeder, and I cant get mine to stop flowering in zone 10, whether it is the ones in the ground or in pots. A balance time release fertilizer works well, but be awarare that over fertilization and wet roots will produce root rot. They also are easily stunted by small pots. A 3 gallon pot may only produce a four to six foot plant and a dozen fruit in a year. You might also try a foliar spray, to restore micronutrients.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
blue passiflora vine
I planted my passiflora in a pot and intend on trying...
cateyanne
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™