Picture ID

mboston_gwJune 4, 2006

I know there is a gallery but I couldn't get it to take my picture so I will try here.

I got this Passi at Lowe's a couple of months ago. It has grown SO much and has tons of blooms. Is it an Amethyst? It has three lobed leaves the label said Purple Passionvine, Pfordi or something like that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

You're correct--that's an Amethyst. Or possibly Lavendar Lady. The two hybrids are practically identical, and the only sure way to tell them apart is to pollinate them with p. caerulea or somesuch. Amethyst will usually set fruit and produce a few seeds, while Lavendar Lady won't. Adding to the confusion is the fact that Lavendar Lady used to be a synonym for Amethyst in years past, before the new "Lavendar Lady" hybrid was released.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 11:29AM
mboston_gw

Cool! I do have a Passiflora Caerulea so I may try that. Do I j ust take some of the pollen from the Caerulea with a q tip and put it on the stamen of the Amethyst?

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 8:52PM
karyn1(7a)

I'm glad that I looked at this post. That's the unknown passiflora that has taken over my patio! lol It's never set fruit but I haven't attempted to cross pollinate with any other variety. It's not one of my favorites but it does bloom profusely!

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 9:58AM
rosaholicme(9)

I have one with loads of fruit. Is the fruit edible? One web site said it was poisonous and the other said the fruits are delicious. I donm't know whom to ask for sure

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 9:54PM
kiwinut

Fruits will not be poisonous, but they may not taste good. Only way to find out is to eat one.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 12:18PM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

I usually just grab a caerulea flower and go around painting the others w/ it.

I have both lavender & amethyst- They are *impossible* to tell apart side by side- As was mentioned above, amethyst fruits, lavender is sterile.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™